Friday, February 11, 2011

Mercantile.

I had a revelation last night with help from the little lady and a few Georgetown Lucille IPA's. I want to open a hardware store/mercantile, complete with locally harvested groceries and American made tools and accessories. All the little things that a homeowner/renter needs without wading through Home Depot/Target/Lowe's/Whole Foods to find it. A neighborhood supply store. A tidy one-stop-shop with hand selected goods with a unique story behind them. This isn't some profound discovery; places like this have existed for the past couple of centuries.







I want hand painted signs, and a hand scripted sandwich board. I want sausages from Frank in Austin, Texas and beef jerky from Fred's in Nashwauk, Mn. I want Estwing hammers and Army issued wool blankets. I want local produce and fresh caught seafood from the Pacific.

This revelation came to me after a bout of frustration because I couldn't find metal shower curtain rings anywhere in this city. The plastic ones disintegrate over a short period of time, and frankly, they aren't all that aesthetically pleasing.

3 comments:

frank adam said...

I love this man...seriously. Love it.

Casey Brewer said...

I'm glad, you'll have to come visit once I'm operational.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I need some shower rings made out of a permanent and durable substance; living in the International District it's suprisingly hard to find such stuff, plus free-range jerky, etc. So count me in. Georgetown is cool neighborhood, much to explore...