Saturday, May 28, 2011

Superbeast Gil Scott-Heron.

The news of Gil Scott-Heron's death yesterday caught me by surprise. I'm a huge fan of his and an avid collector of his music.

A brilliant poet without question, but what I always loved about Gil was the razor's edge he was dangling from when singing. He's not a satin voiced crooner by any stretch. You can hear the downtrodden heartbreak every he time he cracks a lyric. His catalog of recordings is immense, and I don't think there is a stinker in the bunch.

I put together a little retrospective of some of my favorite Gil and Gil w/ Brian Jackson recordings.

R.I.P.



"Middle of Your Day."



"Speed Kills."



"Pieces of a Man."



w/ Brian Jackson

"We Almost Lost Detroit."



w/ Brian Jackson

"It's Your World."



"Whitey on the Moon."



"Home is Where the Hatred is."

No comments: