Monday, September 13, 2010

Centralia, PA


During my tenure on the far left coast I thought I was going to meet surfers, beach bums, enlightened people from the local ashram, but no, my experience has been the far opposite. Instead of meeting sun-worshippers I've met quite a few weirdos from the East coast who have made San Francisco their home.

Over the course of a fresh sixer of Tecate screamers at work, my co-worker Austin starts to go on about an American city "back home" that has been on fire and homestead to half human / half mutant warlords for the last 50 years. Initially I thought he was off his rocker since he spends alot of time "outside" at work, but sure enough, he was right.

Welcome to Centralia, population 5. From Wikipedia:

This was a world where no human could live, hotter than the planet Mercury, its atmosphere as poisonous as Saturn's. At the heart of the fire, temperatures easily exceeded 1,000 degrees [Fahrenheit]. Lethal clouds of carbon monoxide and other gases swirled through the rock chambers. - David DeKok (1986)


Beasts! Mount up. We're heading home!

1 comment:

Casey Brewer said...

Into the fire!!!!