Saturday, June 18, 2011

Leary Records.



It's not often that we promote a business here on the Superbeast blog, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't tip my hat to the great folks at Leary Records in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle.

I've actually tried to check this place out a couple of times and I couldn't find the entrance. You have to walk through an audiophile hi-fi stereo shop, and then proceed to climb a flight of stairs in the back to find this gem. I first met one of the owners at the Georgetown Farmer's Market a few weeks back when he was selling his wares for ridiculously cheap prices. I picked up some salad years hip-hop from him for next to nothing. Buds for life.

Today I went back to Leary to see if I could find the clandestine entrance. Once I figured out you had to walk through the hi-fi shop, I felt like an idiot. At the store I was greeted by Randy, a Boston transplant that moved to Seattle about 4 years ago. He was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about some of the hard to find items I was looking for. He also turned me on to a few things I hadn't heard like singer/songwriter Gary Higgins. I picked up some Alexis Koerner, Warpig, Black Pearl, Good Rats, Tyrannasaurus Rex (early T-Rex), and a mind bending album from a band called Phantom's Divine Comedy. A nice haul.

Aside from Randy's helpful and informative nature, I was also struck by the affordable prices. Good deals are hard to find in Seattle. Places like Bop Street, Georgetown Records and Jive Time are all very expensive.

Leary Records
5459 Leary Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107

No comments: