Sunday, June 19, 2011

Werner Herzog. The Quotes.



Today sucked. I spent the afternoon picking up the pieces of my self-esteem after I was unceremoniously dismissed (again) by a girl. To curb any more morbid thoughts of driving my truck off the Aurora Bridge, I decided to go see a movie. My pal Max and I chose the new documentary film Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog. The movie focuses on the Chauvet Cave in southern France, and the prehistoric art within. It's amazing, even though the 3D cinematography was a little unnecessary.

Instead of writing a long winded review of the film, I've decided instead to publish a list of frontal-lobe realigning Herzog quotes. They won't make you forget about your eviscerated heart, but they might just blow your mind.

"What would an ocean be without a monster lurking in the dark? It would be like sleep without dreams."

"Do you not then hear this horrible scream all around you that people usually call silence."

"Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity. It is a kind of bottomless stupidity, a fiendish stupidity. They are the most horrifying, cannibalistic and nightmarish creatures in the world."

"In the face of the obscene, explicit malice of the jungle, which lacks only dinosaurs as punctuation, I feel like a half-finished, poorly expressed sentence in a cheap novel."

"I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony; but chaos, hostility and murder."

"I see planets that don't exist and landscapes that have only been dreamed."

"I make films to rid myself of pain, like ridding yourself of a nightmare."

"I'm not out to win prizes - that's for dogs and horses."

On working with Klaus Kinski: "I had to domesticate the wild beast."



No comments: