Saturday, September 24, 2011

Eddie Hazel. Superbeast.





Eddie Hazel may be the most underrated sonic craftsman in the history of rock and roll music. This is off the Jams from the Heart EP. A must have for any guitar fiend.

The back of the album reads this quote from Jim Callon:

"Eddie Hazel came out to my beach house one evening with his girlfriend and his guitar. This was the mid-seventies and Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison had all left the planet. But Eddie was still around and this was a rare treat; just him playing to an audience of three: Me, my wife, and Eddie's girlfriend."

In Eddie's own words about his 1954 Fender Stratocaster:

"Overnight something happened. I started stretching out, grabbing new ideas. Suddenly I was capable of soloing in ways I'd only dreamed before. It was unbelievable what that guitar did to me. It gave me such a vision. It talked back to me. I could feel it, just like I hear my heart pulse."

A true Superbeast indeed.

No comments: